Members of the Fire Marshal's Office of Capital City Fire Rescue talked about their investigation leading to the evacuation and shutdown of the Bergman Hotel while guests on Action Line Thursday.
Fire Marshal Dan Jager and Deputy Fire Marshal Sven Pearson said their bottom line aim was to save lives.
"The thing with fire is it can be present and take the lives of anyone in any space. That's why we do these type inspections; fire knows no boundaries, more or less. It can happen anywhere."
They found a high level of carbon monoxide in the Bergman along with a sprinkler system that didn't work, a gaping hole in the roof, exposed wiring, broken windows. and unsuitable emergency exit doors among other things.