Maine News
CHANGE STATE

Thursday, May 23, 2024

Fire caused by charging lithium-ion batteries at Stacyville Fire Department ruled accidental


A fire Tuesday night at the Stacyville Fire Department has been ruled as accidental after officials say it started where a number of batteries were charging inside the station. The Department of Public Safety says several crews were dispatched just before 9 p.m. after reports of smoke at the fire department. They say firefighters quickly knocked down the fire, but the building and several pieces of apparatus were damaged. The Fire Marshal’s Office investigated and says the fire started inside the station at a wall containing multiple lithium-ion batteries that were charging at the time. One firefighter that was taken to a hospital for a leg injury that was not related to the fire has since been released.
WABI-TV CBS/CW+ 5 Bangor

Multiple homes involved in large fire on shore of Little Sebago Lake in Gray


A large fire on the shore of Little Sebago Lake Wednesday night in Gray is now under control. Local crews responded to a reported porch on fire along Evergreen Road at approximately 7 p.m. after a homeowner called in the blaze, Raymond Fire and Rescue Public Information Officer Scott Doyle told NEWS CENTER Maine. The fire spread to three homes and one boathouse, and two structures were fully destroyed in the blaze, Doyle said. The fire also reportedly involved three vehicles. Two firefighters were brought to the hospital for minor injuries and one firefighter was treated at the scene, according to Doyle. No homeowners were injured, he added. Doyle told NEWS CENTER Maine the fire took some time to extinguish due to downed power lines and challenges with getting water to the scene.
WCSH-TV NBC 6 Portland


Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Girl seriously injured during incident at Waterville bridge, police say


A girl was airlifted to a hospital Monday after she was seriously injured during an incident Monday in Waterville. It happened shortly before 4 p.m. near the area of Two Cent Bridge at the Head of Falls along the Kennebec River, Waterville police said in a release Tuesday. Emergency officials said in the release they believed the girl may have been experiencing a mental health crisis at the time. A responding officer apparently saw the girl go over a railing she was sitting on and fall about 25 feet onto rocks below, the release stated. The Waterville police and fire departments, along with Maine State Police, rendered aid and removed her from the rocks. She was then flown to Northern Light Eastern Maine Medical Center with serious injuries that were not considered life-threatening, according to police.
WCSH-TV NBC 6 Portland

’It was just black everywhere:’ Fryeburg family shares warning about batteries after house fire


VIDEO/PHOTOS: A Fryeburg family has a warning for others after they say a lithium-ion battery suddenly caused a fire inside their home. These things are everywhere, from your phone to smartwatches, laptops to cars. “It was just black everywhere. I couldn't tell where it was coming from,” Fryeburg resident Tabby Dunfee said. Tabby Dunfee was going inside her Fryeburg home when she smelled something burning. “I opened the door and could immediately, obviously tell what was going on. It was kind of just billowing in the house," Tabby Dunfee said. She rushed to save her dogs. The cause, according to the fire chief, was a battery-powered leaf blower. That was included in a State Fire Marshal's Office report. It was being stored upstairs.
WGME-TV CBS 13 Portland







FREE QUICK SUBSCRIBE
Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe