A Soundview house fire has left multiple families without a home overnight, officials say.
Firefighters responded to the house fire on Rosedale Avenue at around 11 p.m. Monday.
The owners of the home lived there since 2017 and included three brothers and their parents who lived on the second floor and another family downstairs who rented the space.
The owners say they were coming back from praying at the mosque for Ramadan when the fire started. Officials say the fire started on the second floor, but it's unclear how.
Both families are OK, but the home has been completely destroyed.
News 12 Bronx
VIDEO: Changes are being made to work schedules for some Summerville firefighters that could give them more time with family.
Traditionally, firefighters worked 24 hours in a row, and then they would get 48 hours off. So, you would work one day and then have two days off.
But a new plan would give them a better schedule and spend more time with their loved ones.
“We started off on this idea of giving our guys and gals and opportunity to go to an alternate schedule,” explained Summerville Fire and Rescue Chief Richard Waring.
They decided to test working 48 hours in a row, followed by four days off, about three months ago.
“Put it out for a vote again and over 80% of the department was in favor of keeping the schedules. So all-in-all, I think it will fit their needs and give them a better work/life balance which we’re all about,” said Chief Waring.
WCDB-TV NBC/CW+ 2 Charleston
VIDEO: Fox 4 is following up on a recall for a brand of eye drops called EzriCare Artificial Tears or Delsam Pharma’s Artificial Tears. According to the CDC and FDA, these eye drops have caused 3 deaths, dozens of infections, and more than a handful of vision loss cases.
It was just 3 days ago that North Collier County said their Fire Captain has been affected by these eye drops.
North Collier County Fire Rescue District posted a message on their social media extending their condolences to the captain adding the negligence associated with the product has far-reaching consequences for their department and the residents and visitors within our community.
We took the concerns to a local optometrist to get you answers. "We’ve had phone calls and our patients are not on those lubricants but they are calling asking about what’s on the news," says Dr. Jessica Cameron O. D. FAAO.
WFTX-TV FOX 4 Cape Coral
VIDEO: The first ambulance service in the United States reportedly rolled to the aid of patients in Cincinnati, Ohio, on this day in history, March 28, 1866.
"For many years, Bellevue Hospital in New York claimed to have introduced the first citywide ambulance service in 1869, but records show Cincinnati beat them to it," the Cincinnati Enquirer reported in 2018.
It was citing the 1978 book, "The Ambulance: The Story of Emergency Transportation of Sick and Wounded Through the Centuries," by Katherine Traver Barkley. The book claims Commercial Hospital of Cincinnati at 12th Street and Central Avenue holds this claim to medical fame.
"Hospital employment records listed employee No. 27, James R. Jackson, as an ambulance driver for $360 a year, according to Barkley," the Enquirer reports.
"The 1866 Williams’ Cincinnati Directory verifies that James A. Jackson worked as a ‘teamster,’ or driver, for Commercial Hospital."
VIDEO: The survivor of a house fire in Columbus is making good on his mission to reward the crew at the station that came to his rescue. The fire, more than 10 years ago, caused $325,000 in damage.
“It was fully involved,” Firefighter Jeffrey Yepez told WRBL. “When we pulled out, we could see heavy black smoke. So, we knew it was pretty bad. We had to hurry up and get our gear on really, really quick. I mean, it was fast.”
Yepez was one of the firefighters that responded to the scene Sept. 28, 2012.
That day Jason Martin’s car burst into flames while he was working on repairs.
“It was the vehicle that I was working on when it caught on fire. Apparently, the fumes got sparked somehow. According to the investigation, it was my old refrigerator that may have sparked the fumes. I actually opened my garage door because I was like, ‘wow, the fumes are so bad here,” Martin said.
WRBL-TV CBS 3 Columbus