Iowa News
CHANGE STATE

Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Des Moines Firefighters Pay Last Respects To Veteran Fire Engineer


Des Moines firefighters paid tribute today to Fire Engineer Craig Kern, who died September 21st, at the age of 62. Firefighters stood at attention in front of Fire Station #1 downtown, where Kern spent most of his career. Kern was a 32-year veteran of the Des Moines Fire Department, a native of Des Moines and Lincoln High School graduate. Kern earned his fire specialist degree in 1998, at which point he had already received the City’s Meritorious Service Award, as well as Firehouse Magazine’s Heroism and Community Service Award. He was subsequently promoted to Fire Engineer in 2001. He was also one of the longest serving Haz Mat team members, at over 30-years. The Des Moines Fire Department says evaluations of his work continually included phrases such as “can always count on him”, “regularly fills in as Lieutenant and does well in that role”, “is a quiet, hardworking employee”, and “is a mentor”.
WHO-AM 1040 Des Moines

Story County, Iowa First Responders Rescue Man From 25-Foot Deep Tank


A man is injured after falling 25-feet into a concrete tank this week in Nevada. First responders used a crane, ropes, and a rescue basket to lift the man out of the tank. It happened at an industrial construction site at 62512 270th Street, south of Nevada. The man was taken to Story County Medical Center. His injuries are described as non life-threatening. From Nevada Fire Department: Using a system of ropes, carabiners, a Stokes rescue basket, and a crane which was already on site, a delicate rescue was performed lifting the injured person out of the tank and to a waiting ambulance. The Ames Fire Department was requested under a county-wide mutual aid agreement. They bring specialized technical rescue capabilities to the scene.
WMT-FM 600 Cedar Rapids

Witness hears loud pop before tree catches fire near Des Moines trail


Crews put out a fire near a lower beaver trail on Tuesday. A person walking their dog on the Tom and Sophie Vlassis Greenway just off of Martin Luther King Jr. Parkway and Euclid Avenue told us they heard a loud pop around 6:45 a.m. Fire crews doused a tree off the trail that was on fire. Officers on scene said that they found a homeless encampment in the area of the fire. They do not know the cause of the fire. No one was found and no injuries reported.
KCCI-TV CBS 8 Des Moines

Le Mars Fire-Rescue and Emergency Services knows how to throw a pancake feed


The Le Mars Fire-Rescue and Emergency Services crew dusted off their spatulas and busted out their griddles for the annual Pancake Feed today. The department has held the feed for more than 30 years. The crew served up pancakes, sausage, orange juice, milk and coffee to 575 attendees. This year’s event broke last year’s previous record of money raised. Le Mars Fire-Rescue and Emergency Services Chief David Schipper said the support from the community has allowed them to provide their crew with equipment upgrades and training they need to be at their very best.
KTIV-TV NBC 4 Sioux City

Fire Prevention Week in Sioux City sparks a push to educate the public


Firefighters with Sioux City Fire Rescue are educating the public on fire prevention. The 100th anniversary of fire prevention week is Oct. 9-15. The campaign this year is called, “Fire won’t wait. Plan your escape.” The focus throughout this week and next week will be on simple actions the public can use to stay safe. Firefighters say families should have a plan in place in case of a fire. “Some of the things you can do, especially with kids to make it fun and exciting, is draw a map of the house and arrows two ways out of the home, so kids get used to actually seeing it. And then practice it. Practicing helps kind of with the muscle memory aspect of things,” said Lt. John Nelsen of Sioux City Fire Rescue. Fires can spread fast and the key to staying safe is having an efficient response.
KTIV-TV NBC 4 Sioux City


Monday, October 3, 2022

Man seriously hurt, pets killed in Cedar Rapids fire


A man is seriously hurt after a house fire in Cedar Rapids on Saturday night. It happened at a two-story single-family home in the 1700 block of 11th Street Northwest shortly before 11:30 p.m. When crews arrived, the Cedar Rapids Fire Department said they found heavy fire coming from the house. Firefighters pulled pre-connected hose lines and began fighting the flames. After knocking down a significant amount of fire, they began a coordinated search of the home. Crews located an adult man on the first floor. After firefighters rescued him from the house, paramedics took the man to St. Luke's Hospital with serious injuries. Firefighters said no one else was inside when the fire broke out. Several animals died in the fire. Crews were eventually able to get the fire out.
KWWL-TV NBC 7 Waterloo

Fort Dodge house fire determined to be arson, investigators say


An early morning house fire on Sunday is believed to have been caused by arson, the Fort Dodge Fire Department said. The fire department responded to reports of a possible house fire around 1:53 a.m. in the 200 block of L Street. According to reports, flames were visible from the Kenyon Road Bridge at that time. When fire crews arrived, they found the house engulfed in flames. The house was found to be completely vacant with only a few appliances inside. No injuries occurred during the incident. Arson was determined to the the cause of the fire and the Fort Dodge Police Department will continue investigating the fire.
KCAU-TV ABC 9 Sioux City

House fire in Altoona caused by ’exterior energized heat source,’ Altoona Fire Department says


The Altoona Fire Department responded to a residential house fire in Altoona Friday afternoon. Fire crews were dispatched to the fire on 31st Avenue SW at approximately 1:04 p.m. They arrived within minutes of the 911 call and "observed heavy fire and smoke coming from the north side of the home," according to a press release. The fire spread up the house's siding and into the attic. The fire was brought under control within 45 minutes. According to a preliminary investigation, the cause of the fire appears to be due to "an exterior energized heat source coming into contact with combustible materials." The investigation is ongoing. There are no injuries or fatalities associated with the fire. The American Red Cross will provide assistance to the home's occupants.
WOI-TV ABC 3 Ames

Sioux City Fire Rescue responds to large grass fire


Emergency responders say they were able to prevent a grass fire from spreading to a residential area in Sioux City on Sunday. According to a fire chief with Sioux City Fire Rescue, the fire was reported as a small grass fire on the bypass off Highway 75. However, due to winds, the grass fire took less than five minutes to require additional responders. To assist, the Hinton Fire Department and the 185th Air Refueling Wing Fire Department were called to the scene. Additionally, Sioux City Fire Rescue deployed four trucks to try and put the fire out. The chief stated that they initially were concerned over a residential area that was downwind of the pastures and corn fields that had caught fire. He added that there were at least half a dozen structures that were at risk.
KCAU-TV ABC 9 Sioux City

Fire at Spirit Lake mobile home park


Spirit Lake Fire Chief Pat Daly says calls to mobile home parks seldom end well, but quick action and a little luck Saturday avoided major damage. The department was dispatched shortly after noon and found the occupant spraying a wood deck with a garden house. The fire department took over and put out the structure fire without it spreading into the main home or neighboring properties. Daly says smoke that did enter the home will probably prevent the occupants from staying there over night. Firefighters remained on the scene for about an hour and a half.
KICD-AM 1240 Spencer

Oto home complete loss after fire


An early morning fire in Oto is currently under investigation. At approximately 4:10 a.m., Woodbury County Deputies received a call about a fire located at the 200 Block of 1st Avenue in Oto. An official with the Oto Volunteer Fire Department told KCAU 9 that when they arrived at the scene they could visibly see fire coming out of a window on the north side. The window was broken. KCAU 9 was told that the fire took approximately three hours to fully extinguish. The Woodbury County Sheriff’s Office said that Oto fire and rescue were at the scene when they arrived and assistance was requested from the State Fire Marshal to investigate the cause. Officials said that there were no injuries, but the home is considered a complete loss. The cause of the fire is currently under investigation.
KCAU-TV ABC 9 Sioux City







FREE QUICK SUBSCRIBE
Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe