February 17, 2021 – The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) has announced that the 2020edition of the Educational Messages Advisory Committee (EMAC) Desk Reference is now available, featuring new chapters and updated messaging on multiple fire and life safety issues. Revised every two years, this resource serves as the foundation for all NFPA public education messaging, while providing fire and life safety educators with accurate and consistent language they can deliver to their communities.
“Ensuring that the EMAC Desk Reference reflects timely public education messages requires an investment of time and energy from a dedicated team of fire and life safety, injury, and healthcare professionals,” said Andrea Vastis, senior director of public education at NFPA. “Our collective goal is to ensure that the fire and life safety information within the document is consistent, accurate, and fully addresses the risk factors faced by today’s public.”
The 2020edition of the EMAC Desk Reference includes new chapters on pet fire safety and youth firesetters, in addition to updated messaging on the following issues:
- Carbon monoxide messaging in relation to boating and marina safety
- Home fire escape messaging for people who are deaf or have hearing loss, use a mobility device, and are blind or have low vision
- Fire safety around peer-to-peer hospitality; motor homes, camper and recreational vehicle safety; safety in places of public assembly; and car fire safety
- Cooking safety when using microwave ovens and gas grills
- Electrical safety messaging for pools, hot tubs, and spas; heating equipment; marina and boating safety
- Candle safety, including how to burn a candle and religious/ceremonial use of candles in homes
- Outdoor burning, including campfire safety, fire pit safety, and other recreational fire uses
- Flammable and combustible liquid and gases, including propane gas safety, propane appliance maintenance, and gel fuel safety
- Battery safety specific to 9-volt batteries and battery disposal
Topics within the EMAC Desk Reference are written in a self-contained manner, so that all the information on a particular subject is provided within that category. In the latest edition, the table of contents has been hyperlinked, making it easier to find information on each topic, as needed. The French version of the document will be available in the coming months.
The EMAC meets periodically to review NFPA’s fire and burn safety education messages and to provide recommendations to NFPA public education staff for messaging updates and revisions. Submission of comments, proposed revisions, and new messages from a wide variety of professionals and public audiences occurs on an ongoing basis. The report of all submissions considered for the 2020 edition is available for review.
For this release and other announcements about NFPA initiatives, research and resources, please visit the NFPA press room.
About the National Fire Protection Association® (NFPA®)
Founded in 1896, NFPA® is a global self-funded nonprofit organization devoted to eliminating death, injury, property and economic loss due to fire, electrical and related hazards. The association delivers information and knowledge through more than 300consensus codes and standards, research, training, education, outreach and advocacy; and by partnering with others who share an interest in furthering the NFPA mission. For more information, visit www.nfpa.org. All NFPA codes and standards can be viewed online for free at www.nfpa.org/freeaccess.