There was thunderous chaos Thursday morning when something inside a garbage truck exploded while a sanitation crew was making its rounds in Blytheville, Arkansas.
Firefighters rushed to the scene on Park Lane around 9:00 a.m. There were no flames or smoke, but a worker was lying on the ground. Investigators quickly determined a Co2 canister exploded. More specifically, it was a canister used to make homemade soda.
“It shook the whole truck,” Captain Daniel Holifield said. “It was pretty strong.”
As the can was compacted, pressurized gas exploded out of the tank.
Fire captain Daniel Holifield said someone threw away the canister while it was still full.
“When the trash truck compacted it, it caused an explosion which rattled the truck and threw the sanitation worker to the ground,” he said.