A fire consumed a Delta Junction area home and spread to nearby woods and fields Monday night before firefighters were able to contain it.
Firefighters first responded at about 5:30 p.m. to a home on Hanson Road that was under construction but nearly complete, said Michael Paschall, assistant chief of the Rural Deltana Volunteer Fire Department. The home was a total loss, but no one was hurt in the blaze.
“When I got there, it was nothing but a ball of flame where the house was. Without protective gear, you couldn’t get within a hundred feet of the house,” Paschall said.
Based on what firefighters learned from the home owner, it appears the fire was caused by a chemical reaction that produced too much heat in the foam insulation that was being installed in the home, Paschall said. This type of insulation has to be installed slowly in layers to prevent this kind of reaction, he said.