The Mt. Olive Volunteer Fire Department confirms their fire chief Tracy O. Sanders, 44, has passed away following a wreck near Mudd Street and Highway 77 near Ohatchee Friday afternoon.
Sanders was in a truck when she trying to turn left off of Highway 77 and her vehicle was struck from behind by a tractor trailer. Sander's truck then struck the vehicle in front of her.
The flag is at half staff Friday night at the Mt. Olive VFD fire stations. Firefighters, friends and Sanders' sister all met to talk about their loss.
They remembered Sanders as a woman who loved her fire department, believed in training and encouraged many other women to get into fire service.
WMC-TV Action News5
An unimaginable tragedy struck in a small community of a few dozen homes on Long Key Road in the Florida Keys Monday morning, when three workers from a private contractor tasked with fixing a roadway climbed into a hole in the ground and, ultimately, to their deaths.
By the time a Key Largo firefighter climbed into the same hole near Lake Surprise in a desperate attempt to save the men, they were dead. And within seconds, the firefighter was also overcome by poisonous gas and was fighting for his life.
The hole, just wide enough to fit a body and about 15 feet deep, was filled with hydrogen sulfide and methane gas created from years of rotted vegetation. It was so poisonous, Monroe County Sheriff Rick Ramsay said, that the firefighter was unconscious within seconds.
The Sept. 24 fire in a Canby Park rowhome will go down in Wilmington as one of the most traumatic events in city history. The tragedy ultimately took the lives of three firefighters and injured four more, leaving the department and community reeling.
In the days that followed, city officials realized they had another "very serious" problem, said Mayor Mike Purzycki.
Because of a decision made in the 1980s, Wilmington had no insurance to cover workers’ compensation costs. Now, the city has to pay an estimated $9 million or more out of pocket to cover health care costs for firefighters injured in the blaze, Purzycki told The News Journal.
Dogs have long been used to sniff out drugs and bugs and even bombs! But can these furry friends also identify the smell of cancer?
A special program in San Antonio has been designed to help protect some of our most vulnerable heroes, firefighters.
"Everything a firefighter does is a calculated risk," San Antonio firefighter Joe Arrington said.
And firefighters may be at risk for cancer since those who work the Hazmat team and other dangerous assignments are exposed to hazardous chemicals every single day..
A joint effort between the San Antonio Fire Department and the Firefighter's Association has launched a program to find out using these special test kit masks.
"I found out about this program last summer. I was up in Illinois doing a firefighting study," Safety Division Executive Officer Jennifer Chadwick said.
A woman’s lawsuit over alleged sexual harassment and discrimination in the Farmington Fire Department is headed to a jury trial in U.S. District Court.
Judge David Nuffer recently denied Farmington city’s motion for summary judgment against Sarah Mojazza, who sued the city in February 2014, saying a fellow firefighter sexually harassed her and that she was fired after she complained about it.
Mojazza, a probationary part-time firefighter/EMT, was fired Jan. 8, 2013, after five months on the job. The city said in court documents that Fire Chief Guido Smith terminated Mojazza “because of her using the word f—- while on duty, in uniform, in public and in the presence of Farmington citizens,” and because she showed her supervisor and another firefighter a photo on her cellphone of a man with his genitalia exposed.
VIDEO - Oklahoma City firefighters were called Sunday morning after a homeowner reported hearing some sort of "snorting" noise coming from his swimming pool. Emergency responders arrived and discovered a hole in the swimming pool's liner and a cow trapped in the water.
Oklahoma City Fire Department Battalion Chief Benny Fulkerson says firefighters used their pumps to remove about 5 feet of water from the pool so the cow wouldn't experience hypothermia. Crews then brought in a wrecker to hoist the nearly 1,500-pound animal from the pool and to safety.
KOTV-TV CBS 6 Tulsa