City of Clayton
Location: Clayton, MO
The City of Clayton is seeking an experienced and passionate leader to serve as Fire Chief, replacing the incumbent who retired after 13 years as Chief. The City of Clayton is proud to provide world class service levels to a community which values the contributions of the professional team. Each department of the city including the Fire and EMS Department has distinguished itself in the region and nationally for excellence. The next Fire Chief will continue the traditions of excellence and lead the department and city towards innovation and new approaches for the future.
About the City
The City of Clayton, MO (pop. 15,939), located immediately west of the city of St. Louis is the second downtown of the St. Louis Metropolitan Area. It is accessed by two light rail stations and two interstate highways. It is the home to three institutes of higher education including Washington University. It is a vibrant, well-established community with attractive gathering places, walkable retail, restaurants and entertainment. Clayton is the county seat for St. Louis County supporting five county facilities, including a 1,200-bed justice center complex. The City has a residential population of 15,939 and a daytime population of 46,000.
Within its 2.5 square miles, Clayton houses more than 7,000,000 square feet of high rise office space and more than 1,000,000 square feet of retail. Clayton's premier office and retail space, which enjoys less than a 6% vacancy rate and some of the highest lease rates in the Midwest outside of downtown Chicago continues to grow as companies invest more than $1,000,000,000 in private construction. Several titans of the corporate world are included in the 2,000 businesses that call Clayton home. Clayton's charming, neighborhood retail districts are filled with specialty boutiques, galleries and restaurants.
This safe suburban community with a sophisticated cityscape provides the best of all worlds with a mix of stately single-family homes, condominiums, and multi-family apartments. Enriching the City's quality of life is its award-winning public-school system, rated #4 in the US by Niche while the city itself was rated as #8 by Niche in the US. This is a premier community. Clayton is also home to several stellar private institutions, including Washington University, Fontbonne University and Concordia Seminary.
The City provides Fire/EMS and fire prevention services as well as support for a countywide specialized rescue operation and is dispatched through a regional dispatch operation that is governed by the cities who are served. The community services are world-class with exceptional parks programs meeting citizens' year-round needs. The Center of Clayton offers state-of-the-art fitness, athletic and meeting facilities.
The Clayton Fire Department is staffed by 35 professional, highly trained employees. Uniformed employees are trained in both fire and emergency medical services. Personnel from the rank of Firefighter through Captain are represented by the International Association of Firefighters Local 2665. The Department offers no cost, public education programs to residents and businesses in Clayton and works closely with the Clayton School District to offer injury prevention programs in the schools.
The Department serves more than 38 high-rise buildings in addition to several which are currently under construction. The department responds to over 2,000 calls annually and provides services from one fire station with full Fire, EMS (ALS), Fire Prevention and Special Teams Operations. Clayton has been a leader in developing high-rise fire safety and building codes and maintains a rating from the Insurance Service Organization ISO of 2. This rating places our department in the top ten percent (10%) of all departments in the country.
The successful candidate will provide:
· Innovation: Bring fresh ideas to the organization and offer unique perspectives and experiences as well as a capability and desire to monitor the forefront of industry advances and assess adaptation and application to Clayton.
· Energy: Provide enthusiasm and focused energy to all projects and a passion for service to the community.
· Expertise and Intellectual Curiosity: Bring deep knowledge of Fire and EMS strategy, operation and innovation and a passion for continuous learning and improvement.
· Versatility: Play an important role in coordinating, facilitating, and managing projects that require involvement across multiple service areas with a balance of trust and delegation.
· Leadership: Be dedicated to effective leadership and building collaborative and positive relationships with those he or she leads and other staff members and outside organizations in the region. Building and actively working to sustain high trust relationships is paramount.
· Engaging Perspective: Demonstrates a balance of commitment to the organization as well as the senior management team of the city with a genuine confidence and approachable personality.
Other desired attributes include:
· Desire to be a part of a great team.
· The ability to balance focus on local and regional issues and staffing models with an emphasis and experience in police/fire collaborative dispatch operations, emergency management, and a strong collaborative incident management perspective.
· A complete understanding of the Accreditation process and experience in developing a team to work on this process.
· Strong background in collective bargaining with demonstrated skills in relationship building.
The City of Clayton operates under the Council/Manager form of government where the Elected officials set policy direction and vision for the community and a professional City Manager serves as CEO and is responsible for the leadership, supervision and execution of day to day operations of all departments. The executive team of the city is made up of the department leaders and has developed into a highly supportive and collaborative team serving the interests of the entire community and supporting the collective goals of the organization. We value trust, professionalism, transparency and excellence and are committed to a “work” environment that allows all team members to bring their best talents and passion to their calling to public service that generates pride individually and as a team.
Successful candidates will possess a Bachelor’s Degree in Fire Science, Emergency Management, Homeland Security, or a closely related field from an accredited college/university. A Master’s Degree is preferred. Must have a minimum of ten (10) years’ work experience of a wide and progressively responsible nature in fire suppression inclusive of upper level management experience.
Completion or enrollment with a completion date in the National Fire Academy Executive Officers certification is desired. The salary range for this position is $117,748 - $147,184 depending upon qualifications. The City of Clayton offers an attractive benefits package.
Interested professionals should apply online with resume, cover letter and contact information for 5 professional references by November 2, 2018 to consultant Tim Sashko at: www.GovHRjobs.com Electronic submissions are required. Telephone inquiries: GovHR USA (847) 380-3240.
THE CITY OF CLAYTON IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Click HERE to Apply!