The City of San Marcos Fire Department is currently recruiting
for the position of Fire Division Chief.
In San Marcos, we're looking for someone ready to step up, take initiative and get things done all while exemplifying the department's core values of integrity, competency, leadership, safety and customer service. Specifically as Fire Division Chief, you will maintain a standard of excellence bestowed upon you by San Marcos residents and Fire Chief. As a public servant, you will be on the frontlines--not only when emergencies demand it, but also as a mentor and advocate for community safety. You'll be relied on to collaborate frequently with other city departments, provide direct support to the Fire Chief, and effectively resolve sensitive and controversial issues on behalf of the City. And because you'll be serving a city that values innovation and vision, you'll be expected to stay on top of the industry's latest technology and trends, while having the opportunity to apply your knowledge to pioneer more effective business processes and service deployment. As a department leader, you will assume fiscal responsibility of city resources, while being entrusted with the development of staff and maintaining operational readiness. You will be held accountable to the highest standards of personal conduct, accountability and expertise. You will be expected to be a team player--pitching in whenever and wherever duty calls. Applications will be accepted through 5:30pm, March 30, 2018.
Under administrative direction, directs, manages, supervises, and coordinates the activities and operations of the assigned Division within the Fire Department including operations, training, facility/equipment maintenance, fire prevention, disaster preparedness, public education and related programs and services; responds to emergency incidents; coordinates assigned activities with other divisions, departments, and outside agencies; and provides highly responsible and complex administrative support to the Fire Chief.
Recruitment and Exam Process:
** In addition to the completed application, applicants are required to submit a resume, copies of required licenses and certifications and submit answers to the supplemental questionnaire as an attached PDF for consideration of this position.
- Completed applications and required submitted certifications and documents must be submitted by 5:30pm, March 30, 2018.
- Invited qualified candidates will be invited to the Examination phase on April 13, 2018. The exam process will include:
- Technical Panel Interview
- Command Simulation Assessment
- Management Panel Interview
- During this portion of the exam phase, candidates should prepare and be prepared to discuss his / her 30-60-90 day professional work plan to successfully transition into this key position. Additionally, discussion may be based on specific responses included in the candidate's submitted supplemental question responses.
- Candidates who have successfully completed the exam phase will attend a Chief's Interview on April 17, 2018.